Dec'12 IIP growth at -0.6%, lower than expected
Perspective on IIP numbers
By Mr. Dipen Shah, Head of PCG (Private Client Group) Research, Kotak Securities:
The IIP growth for December 2012 at (-)0.6%, was lower than expectations. The November 2012 IIP figure has also been revised downwards. The contraction in December was on the back of poor performance of manufacturing and mining sectors and decline in production of capital goods as well as consumer goods. The manufacturing sector, which constitutes over 75% of the index, registered a contraction of 0.7% in December.
The IIP growth of 0.7% during April – December 2012 reflects the broad-based slowdown across sectors. The consistently weak reading on IIP may support RBI’s supportive monetary policy stance. However, the budget provisions and further reforms initiatives from the Government are expected to have a greater influence on its decision, is what Kotak Securities believes.
- IIP expands for the first time in last three months to 2.4%
- IIP for Jan'13 came at 2.4%, much higher than expectations
- The Great Fuel Subsidy Hoax
- Industrial production dipped by 0.1% in Nov'12
- IIP Oct'12: Way above expectations, but fails to excite the markets
- Macroeconomic indicators & Stock markets
- Midcap/Smallcap Indices - Time to catch up and stop under performing?
- MF Scheme Analysis: Franklin India Bluechip Fund (G)
- Note on RBI's Monetary Policy Announcement for 2013-14
- South Indian Bank Q3FY13: Results in line with expectations, retain accumulate More
Also On Valuenotes.Com
Invest early in your career
Know your PAN card better
J&K Bank Q4FY13: NIMS stable
Repco Home Finance: Management meet takeways
Equity markets witnessed a choppy session of trade
Weekly Market, Sectoral and Stock Perspective: Are the bulls back?